Saturday, December 29, 2012

Love and Football

Setting up the play
Love..... the prize
3rd down, tension  builds
yellow flag on the field
Penalty...damn
back to the line of scrimmage
again

Once we love
the game begins
the energy is shared
the moment becomes days
Then weeks
Then years
Once we love
the kick off goes down

I define love as a decision
a way of seeing another person
as the truth they are
A team sport
I pass the ball to you
you back to me
and we move down the field
together

Yeah, we get tackled
and we get up again
We move in formation
or one is far ahead, ready to receive
awaiting the pass
The Hail Mary that wins the game
enthralling the crowd
Enhancing our individual stats

Tis how we roll down the field of our love
running or sacked
To the playoffs
or stuck on injured reserve
Love is like football
A grid iron game of skill
and chance
and we crave it, we seek it out

First down to field goal
I pick you as my teammate
You're my first round draft pick, darlin
Play with me?
Catch my passes?
Make that touchdown at the last minute
please
Quicken my pulse as we connect in silent suspense

Make me proud and let me sing your praises
In the locker room after the game
I will tell them how you are there, always
and I value your reception and the skill in your hands
So, hut, hut, hike, baby
Here we go again
The world wears our team colors boldly
Touchdowns....torn ACLs, the tempting timbre of the crowd
and all in between
Play with me, baby




No comments:

Post a Comment