Thursday, March 17, 2011

REFLECTIVE or REACTIVE?

I feel changes coming on
I know that I will soon be gone
Perhaps I don't really need to
Talk about it
(not yet, anyway)

An interesting situation just occurred and this song appeared today to address it. The wisdom around this is staggering! The proper song ALWAYS shows up.......you can draw your own conclusion about who sends the songs to my ears.

When we find ourselves cornered or in an uncomfortable place, we want to share our pain.
It seems appropriate to mention that we have choices around how we go about doing that.

I have learned in times of emotional quandary or when I am wearing my emotions on my sleeve, that I can be very reactive and often NOT reflective. It has been a lesson to me to step back before attacking or discussing my thoughts and decisions with others, mostly because there is just too much adrenaline in my body when I am emotionally charged. Adrenaline is linked to the "fight or flight" syndrome, and is a physiological reaction to a crisis. We are supposed to run from the danger presented in front of us, not begin slinging verbal arrows at other people. Think about it........ have you ever seen just one arrow shot in a battle? Then, there is the counter strike, and before you know it....all hell breaks loose!

So, as mentioned, in light of recent developments, let me say I vote for stepping back from an emotionally charged event and processing, calming down and collecting our thoughts before we place them out in social network land for all to read. The energy of all we do is important and once it's out there, the damage control can be a HUGE clean up project.

We forgot, I think, that we have choices around this, especially in the instantaneous "thought to documentation" lifestyle we live these days.

In the words of Rodney King in the wake of those awful riots "Can't we all just get along"?

2 comments:

  1. Very well put. I'm not at all fond of disharmony, Harmony. It makes me uneasy. It makes me want to "put things right." It makes me anxious. Some people accuse me of being a wuss when I try to distract or redirect people's attention, versus taking a side or getting in the fray, but being a "wuss" is actually progress for me. It's too easy and comfortable for me to give into the adrenaline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making great strides, dear friend! I am honored to be a witness to the process!
    :)

    ReplyDelete