Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Slow down and reflect

Running through the years....

As I sit here writing, listening and reminiscing, I am reminded that life is very much a cycle, a circle, a never ending process that transports us, challenges us and heals us.... if we allow it.

Looking backwards now and again and taking time to welcome the opportunity to do this is essential, really, to our growth. As we move forward, often times in what feels like quicksand, we can return to times when we moved easily or when a similar trial brought us to great revelations.

I have not fully ascertained the purpose of pain in our lives, but I do know that as humans obsessed with superlatives, we need the bad and the ugly to even begin to appreciate the good. In this truth is the reality that we learn to accept, allow and truly cherish the good times in life. The good times.....the birth of our kids, the laugh shared between friends, the hugs offered and received when we need them. Think about this....do you offer hugs in peaceful times as well as times of turmoil? Do you give to yourself as well as to others? Many times , we pay more attention to the preventive maintenance of our cars than the maintenance of ourselves, our souls and our energies.

In the reflective spaces of my soul today, I can acknowledge pain as a formidable teacher, guide and awareness builder. Some day, I hope to return to a place where pain is not necessary, but for right now, I honor its place in my life. Today I can truly own this.

No comments:

Post a Comment